Monday, 25 August 2014

The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys by Gerard Way & Shaun Simon & Artist Becky Cloonan




I do love a recommendation when it comes to comics, it opens up your brain to new reading experiences and generally a recommendation is always good.


I wouldn't have necessarily picked this one up, it didn't stand out to me.

It's creation is intriguing though which is, it's co-written by the lead singer of My Chemical Romance, Gerard Way together with writer Shaun Simon; a cross media pollination.
Anyway when someone says they love a comic it's got to be worth a read.

So I gotta admit, I initially struggled with the writing and the flow of the page. I really had to concentrate and tune in. I tend to speed through comics, scanning and gobbling them up. But I had to slow down for this.


It took me a while to get the story and understand who everyone was.

I could see this working really well as the single released comics they were before compilation, where you can sit savour and absorb the story for a week till the next chapter.

I found it reminiscent of 2000AD which I love. It also reminded me of a series called 20/20 Visions (came out in the 90's,  a science-fiction comic written by Jamie Delano.)

But being reminded of these classic genres didn't stop it being unique and enjoyable. I am gonna have to re-read it because I was half way through before it all sunk in.


I like the dynamics and energy.
It's a post apocalyptic story set in a part electronic part desert landscape and a war against a corrupt establishment and if you love 2000AD like me then I think you'll enjoy this.

Also did I mention, the art and layout is fierce, beautiful work from Becky Cloonan.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.